Sunday 22 February 2015

The Weekend Whim #5: Much Wenlock

Much Wenlock Street

I hope you've all been having a glorious weekend, and if like me you've been hit with a few days of non-stop rain, I hope you've managed to have a lazy couple of days keeping dry and warm with a hot drink in hand. This week saw me take a (rainy!) trip out to Much Wenlock, and with it being such a pretty little place, I thought I'd share a few photos, as well as what I got up to.

Much Wenlock George and Dragon

Much Wenlock Tudor House

Much Wenlock Florist

Much Wenlock Cottages

DO:
Did you know that Much Wenlock is the birthplace of the modern Olympics? It's strange that I didn't know this about somewhere practically on my doorstep, but when you're walking along the main street of Much Wenlock, it's clear to see that it's steeped in history. The old tudor style buildings are stunning, and you can find out more about the town's past in the local museum. I have yet to make it to Wenlock Priory, but from what I've heard the monastery ruins are well worth a look around, with gorgeous gardens if you're in the mood for a stroll about. The larger town of Bridgnorth is a short trip away, with a bustling market and plenty of coffee shops and restaurants to choose from. I also highly recommend a visit to the Dudmaston Estate, a National Trust property with an added twist of a private art collection in the house.

EAT:
The George and Dragon Inn is a perfectly olde world pub, with low beams and quirky decoration, and they serve hearty homemade meals. They have a surprisingly decent amount of choice for vegetarians, as well as traditional lunches (I recommend the lasagna - so cheesy!). If you're in the mood for something lighter, there are plenty of cafes and coffee shops to choose from, but a special shout out goes to The Copper Kettle (they have such a lovely choice of cakes and scones).

SHOP:
For such a teeny-tiny place, Much Wenlock has such a high concentration of second hand book shops (and large ones at that!). Much More Books (see what they did there?) has a great selection of second hand books and LPs, all organised into categories that makes book rummaging all that much easier. I found it hard to resist buying ALL the books. Also check out Wenlock Books, a delightful mix of new and second hand books, which has a stunning collection upstairs. Twenty Twenty Gallery houses a beautiful collection of modern art, as well as stocking art equipment for when inspiration strikes you after seeing the artwork they have on offer. Also, if you're a crafter, a visit to Ippikin is a must; it's by far one of the most inspiring wool shops I've ever set foot in, with an up to date selection of wool, patterns, and books. Get your purses at the ready!


In other news, I've also been playing this song on repeat (too excited for the new album!), have been rediscovering my love of making jewellery, and reading this Valentine's Day post by Katie (such an refreshing read).

I'd love to hear any recommendations you guys have!

No comments:

Post a Comment