Monday 30 June 2014

What I'm Loving - June 2014

June 2014

I always find June to be quite an exciting month, because to me it definitely feels like the first month of summer. This year is no different, and I'm already planning and anticipating lazy summer days ahead. I always notice that in the summer months, my crafting habits change and I tend to lay off anything involving wool. Maybe now would be the best time to start knitting, in order to finish for winter, but at the moment, my brain is just too preoccupied with florals and sandals to even think that far ahead.

Pyjama Pants

What I've Been Wearing
There are so many catwalk trends that, for me, fail to work in the real world. I've always considered pyjama pants to fall into this category. I picked up this lovely monochrome pair from a charity shop (because of the oriental print, of course), with the intention of tapering them in. However, after trying them on, I fell in love with them. I was worried that they would edge on being like a palazzo pant, but instead are a more subtle straight-leg which is really flattering, and more relaxed for the warmer weather. They are also really easy to wear, especially with a plain top. I like to wear them with super chunky sandals for a boho look, my favourite pair of converse for when I'm feeling kooky, or with my pair of cut out flats for a casual look. I've got a feeling I'll be wearing these pretty much all summer long.

Breakfast at Tiffany's

What I've Been Reading
I've got a fairly heavy reading list at the moment, mainly consisting of Kafka and Lord of the Flies (told you it was heavy). However, after a fairly chaotic/emotional couple of weeks, I needed a little reading pick-me-up. So when I found this copy of Breakfast at Tiffany's in my local Oxfam, I knew it was meant to be. Surprisingly, it's a fairly short story, but it manages to pack such a lot in, mainly due to Capote's skill at story telling. If you've seen the film, then you'll know about Holly Golightly, the iconic girl about town, and her chaotic expoits. The characters leap off the page, especially Golightly (even without Audrey Hepburn), and due to the first person narrative, it's very touching and emotional. Overall, it's a great little read that will make you want to travel to New York ASAP. Oh - and the ending is different to the film, but I won't spoil it for you...

Kasabian 4813 Review

What I've Been Listening To
48:13 seems to be the album that has split Kasabian fans, with those that prefer the more guitar-orientated songs feeling that they've lost out. For me, I really like the more electronic direction, which seems to hark back to their eponymous debut album (tracks like Treat and Explodes would fit right in place). In between the electronic tracks are more typical Kasabian anthems, with catchy hooks and a beat you can jump around to. Clouds is my new summer jam, and Bumblebeee is up there with Vlad the Impaler. I'd highly recommend checking out their headlining set at Glastonbury, which I was head-banging to in my pj's. So rock and roll.

What have been your June highlights?

No comments:

Post a Comment