Sunday 29 June 2014

Nail It: Pastel Checks

Nail Art Pastel Checks

At the moment, I am loving checks on absolutely everything, so it was only a matter of time before they appeared on my nails. Instead of using a dark base, I used a pastel base to make them more summery (and because I am just obsessed with pastels at the moment). If you want to try them out yourself (and probably do a neater job than I have!), read on for instructions.

The checks are made up of a series of stripes, which can be made either by using a nail art pen, or standard nail varnish and a nail art brush. I used the brush, although I think the pen would work just as well (maybe even better). The base I've used is No7's Stay Perfect Nail Colour in shade number 20 - Lucky Lilac. It's a lovely pastel purple, which is subtle enough without being boring. I think it's also flattering for my skin tone.

Here's how I did it:

1. Paint your nails with 2 coats of a base colour of your choice, and leave until completely dry.

2. Paint a vertical stripe down the centre of your nail, splitting the nail into two equal sections.

3. Paint another vertical stripe down each of your two sections, so that you have three vertical stripes equally spaced across your nail. Repeat this across all of your nails.

4. When your first set of stripes have dried, you can now start the horizontal stripes. Paint one horizontal stripe across the centre of your nail, across the three vertical stripes.

5. So that the spacing is even, and creating a square shaped check, paint a further two horizontal checks, one either side of the first stripe. Repeat this across all of your nails.

6. When your second set of stripes have dried, protect your hard work with a layer of topcoat.

It can be a challenge getting the stripes perfectly straight. If you're not feeling too confident, why not pair up with a friend and paint each other's nails?

Nail Art Pastel Checks

I'm really enjoying this nail art at the moment, as it's been a while since I've painted a pattern on my nails (mainly due to impatience). How are you painting your nails this summer?

No comments:

Post a Comment