Monday 2 June 2014

A Cheat's Guide to Beading

Vintage Beaded Necklace

Beading was something that I always aspired to you when I was young. The delicate beads, the glittery end result - it's a ten year old's dream. When I tried it though, I was too impatient to see the project through to the end, mainly because the fiddly nature didn't suit me. I still don't fancy trying it now. But where there's a will, there's a way, and I have recently discovered an incredibly quick and easy way to create your own beaded jewellery. Don't believe me?

Beaded Applique Patch Necklace

This, my friends, is an appliqué patch. Everybody must remember those fabric badges that were sewn on denim jackets everywhere across the 90's. They still bring me out in a rash. I never realised however, that some of them were quite so chic. Beaded appliqué patches are more widely available than you'd first think, and take all the hard work out of beading. If you're lucky enough, you may be able to find a particularly lovely vintage one. I've had this one for a while, and never sewn it onto anything for fear of commitment. Beading this good deserves to be worn on more than one item of clothing, amirite? So the obvious solution was to turn it into a statement necklace, and wear it in many different ways.

Beaded Applique Patch Necklace

Beaded Applique Patch Necklace

All you have to do to make your necklace, is to sew your beaded appliqué patch securely in place onto a necklace chain. Make sure you use a good quality thread, to prevent your stitching from becoming undone. If your appliqué patch is smaller, you could make a bracelet in the same way. You could even make a pair of earrings if you found a matching pair.

Vintage Beaded Necklace

This is so quick and simple, it's frankly ridiculous. Yet the end result looks very impressive and classy. Wear it in the day, to dress up a pair of jeans and a t-shirt, or at night with an LBD. I like how the beads are a subtler look to rhinestones, and are reminiscent of the 20's. Who said fabric patches were just for the 90's?

I'd love to hear if you try this, or if you have any other beading tips, or ways to use fabric patches.

No comments:

Post a Comment