Friday 18 April 2014

Vintage Crochet and Knitting Patterns: The Good, The Bad, The Ugly

Vintage Crochet and Knitting Patterns

I've been having a bit of a sort out lately, what with it being a typical time for a "spring clean". It always takes me so long, because I always just end up reading books and looking at thing I haven't seen in a while. One of the many things I "sorted out" was my collection of crochet and knitting patterns, making me eager to start many new projects! Here are a few of my favourite vintage patterns, some of them lovely, some of them cringe worthy, and others just hilarious. Enjoy!

Vintage Crochet Pattern Peter Pan Collars

Vintage Crochet Pattern Peter Pan Collars

My obsession with peter pan collars flows over into my crochet pattern haul. Who knows, maybe I was Oliver Cromwell in a past life? No, I can't be, I love Christmas too much. These are just a few of my collar patterns (I have many, many more!). I've actually never made a collar, so seeing these beauties again has given me the push to pick up my hooks again, and get chaining. I've chosen to make the "rose motif" collar, so I'll keep you posted on my progress.

Vintage Knitting Patterns Nautical Jumpers

I have a bit of a love for nautical style (hello, Breton stripes), so it's only natural that I love these jumpers. French flag elbow patches? *Swoon*. Unfortunately, the two jumpers on the left are knit up in 4-ply, and I ain't got time fo' dat! Sorry. The ribbed anchor jumper however, is knit in DK, so it might be put on my to-knit list (which is ridiculously long).

Vintage Crochet Pattern 60s Lacy Bag

This idea is so simple, I don't know why I haven't though of it before. Crochet a lacy motif, and attach it to a plain bag and voila! So chic! I love the 60s styling in this little booklet, it's making me want to cut my hair into a bob.

Vintage Knitting Crochet Pattern Bad Orange Dress

An orange dress, with purple crochet side panels. Nice. Don't forget the matching headband too! I love me some 70s style clothing, but it's easy to see why people see the 70s as the decade that style forgot. This is just one of many, many bad patterns. Bad bad. But funny-bad, all the same.

Vintage Crochet Toilet Seat Pattern

Vintage Crochet Toilet Seat Pattern

A crochet toilet seat cover? I can't even... I have no words for this. It's only after you stop laughing that you realise that it's made in a lovely burnt orange and brown colour scheme too. Nice.

Do you like old knitting and crochet patterns, or do you prefer more orthodox modern patterns?

No comments:

Post a Comment