Thursday 24 April 2014

Bicycle Knitting Chart and Jumper Inspiration


Bicycle Knitting Chart

At the moment I have a burning desire to knit a jumper. Yep, I understand that this is the kind of time that normal people start to consider their summer wardrobe, and whether they need any clothes for their holidays. But, there are two things you need to know about me:
  1. I am not normal.
  2. I am a jumper fiend. 
I have never knit a jumper before, and I have a feeling that it's the kind of project that could take a while to complete. So, perhaps this is actually the best time to start knitting a jumper in order that it is ready for the winter. 

I love a good old motif jumper, and a motif I really want to use is a bicycle one. I don't know how I had this thought - perhaps I was thinking that the Tour de France is coming up soon? It's a big event in our household. After a lazy afternoon spent on Pinterest, I quickly decided that a bicycle jumper was what my heart desired, and I quickly set about making baby steps towards making my first ever jumper. *Gulp!*

Bicycle Knitting Chart

Bicycle Knitting Chart

I used my knitting chart technique to make this chart, and this one actually didn't require any redrafting. Which was surprising, as I was worried that a bicycle might be a complex shape to translate into a knitting chart. I'm actually very pleased with how bike-like this chart looks! 

Bicycle Knitting Chart

On second thoughts, I think it probably was the Tour de France that inspired this chart, as I can't stop thinking about making a jumper which has some kind of nod to the Parisienne. Perhaps some French flag elbow patches? Or a red white and blue colour scheme? Hmmm... This requires some thought. 

These are some of the photos that I think are going to inspire this project. Some of these beauties are worthy of a place in Gyles Brandreth's wardrobe, non? I might try to stay away from that area. 

Bicycle Jumper Inspiration
Sources, clockwise from far left: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Here's hoping I soon get the courage/wool to start knitting the bike jumper of my dreams. I'll (hopefully) be posting the end result here (maybe with a pattern), but don't hold your breath!

Any tips anybody's got for knitting jumpers? What would be your dream jumper? 

1 comment: