Saturday 22 February 2014

Make a Notebook out of Playing Cards

Hi, my name's Charlotte and I have an addiction to buying packs of cards. I don't know how to play poker, find patience a little monotonous and I don't own a playing card museum, so I don't really know where this obsession stems from. But old and unusual card games are amazing, and when I see a particularly special pack, I have to have it. Maybe I buy them in the hope that I will make something really unique from them, but I think the real reason is just so I can spread them out and look at them with a big smile on my face. They just make me happy, in the same way that cats or brogues make me happy.

Vintage Card Games Playing Cards

It's getting to the point where I'm thinking that I have to do something with them, as some are just too lovely to be left in their boxes. I came up with the idea of making a notebook using two cards as the front and back covers, which I can't believe I hadn't thought of sooner. I'm one of those people who still likes to write things down to remember them, and makes endless lists, so this is perfect for me. Using playing cards means that the finished notebook is the perfect size to pop in your pocket, and fits nicely in the palm of your hand.

Vintage Playing Card Notebook

Vintage Playing Card Notebook

Vintage Playing Card Notebook

I used these vintage snap cards that I picked up ages ago for mere pennies. Next time I make a notebook using these cards, I might try to make the cards a little more sturdy, as they are quite flimsy. More modern playing cards would probably work fine. I used the same technique as I did for my Cereal Box Notebook, cutting my signatures to size and doing two rows of coptic stitch.

Vintage Playing Card Notebook

Vintage Playing Card Notebook

If you find cards with a pretty pattern on the reverse, the inside of your notebook looks good too, although if not you could always cover the reverse of your cards with a paper of your choice.

Vintage Playing Card Notebook

Great to pop into your coat pocket and know that you always have a notebook to hand.

Vintage Playing Card Notebook

Choose any playing cards you like - don't you think this "Mother Knows Best" design would be a great gift for Mother's Day? Use a thread colour that complements or contrasts the colours on your card.


Let me know if you try this or have any questions about coptic stitch - I'll try my best to help.

No comments:

Post a Comment