Wednesday 29 January 2014

Making Chunky Wool

I have mad ideas at 1am in the morning when I am trying to get to sleep. An example? How about sandwiches made in the style of a cake, with a large loaf cut down the middle and filled with ingredients. Then, people can help themselves to a slice of sandwich. And how exactly does one become a member of the magic circle? Anyway, I digress...


This was one of my mad 1am ideas that actually seemed worth following up. The idea is to turn standard wool into chunky wool, by using a crochet hook and simply making a really long chain. It took me a couple of days to complete the whole of this ball of wool, but it was a really mindless task that I could easily complete whilst watching TV.


I used an aran wool and a 4mm crochet hook for mine, but the possibilities are endless. Even after chaining your wool, you could use a larger crochet hook and do it all over again, for an even chunkier wool.


I'm using the results of this effort to knit a hat with, and I'm rather enjoying working with my Frankenstein's wool. It is lovely and thick, and has a slight tweedy texture to it. I'll keep you updated with my progress.

Have you ever had any crazy ideas that actually turned out amazingly well?

No comments:

Post a Comment