Monday 11 November 2013

How to: Spoon Jewellery

Sometimes, I come across miniature spoons with beautiful decoration on. Decoration which is decidedly too good for spoons. When I came across some particularly beautiful ones, I came up with this tutorial for making pendants out of them, and I'm really pleased with the way they always turn out.


All you'll need is a spoon of your choice, a pair of pliers, and jewellery findings depending on what kind of spoon jewellery you want to make (pendants and charms work good, but a ring might work too).



These are a couple of spoons I like, but go with whatever takes your fancy. I love anything with a blue and white willow pattern on it (and windmills!), and the 3 wise men were just too festive to resist.


Take your pliers, and gently bend your spoon underneath the decorative top. Keep bending until the spoon breaks. Most spoons are quite easy, but occasionally you'll across a really well made one which requires a small saw to separate the pieces. Use a file to smooth any rough edges.


You can use the fancy bit for pretty much anything you want. I'll make a Christmas pendant from this one by threading a jump ring through the hole in-between the three men and attaching to a necklace. Don't throw away the spoony bit though - you can make a pendant from this too!



Hold your pliers towards the end of the handle, and wrap your handle around your pliers creating a loop. Thread a necklace through the loop and voila! A spoon pendant (because you never know when you might need a spoon, right?).



These are some I've made before. The windmill was on the top of the handle of this teeny-tiny spoon, and is particularly lovely because the sails actually rotate. Fact: I actually just had to look up what the spinny bits on a windmill are called to write that sentence. Doh!

Let me know if you try this - I'd love to see what spoons you find!


No comments:

Post a Comment