Friday 4 October 2013

How to: Speech Bubble Shrinky Brooch

I love laser cut acrylic jewellery - it's so fun and easy to wear. Until I actually own a laser cutter though, the best alternative way to get the same look is shrinking plastic. Because I am waaaaay behind the times, I only discovered shrinking plastic about a year ago, and since then, I am addicted! Today I'll show you how to make one of my favourite shrinking plastic creations - a speech bubble brooch.

 
 
I think these would make great gifts for those hard-to-buy-for people, as you could write anything you want in your speech bubble. Song lyrics, a famous quote, or even if there's just a word you love.
 
You Will Need:
 
 
  • Shrinking Plastic
  • Black Permanent Marker
  • Brooch Back
  • Scissors
  • Glue
  • White Nail Varnish (Optional)
  • An oven
First up, draw out a template for your speech bubble (or find one on the Internet). To make a brooch about 4cm by 3cm, my template was about 10cm by 7cm (remember it will shrink in the oven!)
 
 
 
I used transparent shrinking plastic, which meant I could then trace the template onto my shrinking plastic using the permanent marker.
 
 
 
Then write in your words of choice.
 
 
 
Cut out around your shape, and heat in the oven according to the instructions on your shrinking plastic.
 
An optional step I like to do when my plastic is cool, is paint the back with white nail varnish. I just find that this makes the artwork stand out more (especially if you used transparent shrinking plastic like me).
 
 
 
When this has dried, glue the brooch back onto the back of the plastic.
 
 
 
 
Ta Daaa! Now you can wear your heart on your sleeve (or your jumper, shirt or dress) wherever you are.
 
What do you think would be fun to write in the middle of these?
 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment